Monday, October 19, 2009

Where I'm From - sample by Ms. Sackstein

“Where I’m From”

by Ms. S. Sackstein


I am from baseballs,
From Spaulding and Wilson.
I am from the kitchen table,
Round, wooden and always smelling of gourmet foods.
I am from the purple daisy, white rose and lush oak tree,
Large with limbs to swing on and climb
(Alive with adventure and excitement.)
I’m from Jewish holidays, loud laughter and family gathering together
From Joy and Nikki.
I’m from “You’ve got a friend,” sung by daddy to me at bedtime
And “have a great day smiley faces” in my lunch bag from my mom.

I’m from “always eat your vegetables or you can’t eat dessert!”
And “Brush your teeth before bed.”
I’m from 9 years of Hebrew school and Bar Mitzvahs,
But never going to temple except for weddings and funerals.
I’m from Hewlett and Eastern Europe, where my family immigrated from.
And stuffed cabbage rich with red gravy and hot noodle pudding that melts in my mouth.

From the story of generations passed
And my Bubbi’s wild pink hair
The paint on the walls and carpets
And terrible cello playing of my youth.
From family vacations to the Caribbean filled with snorkeling and sunshine,
Camping trips and singing “Let the Sun Shine in” around the fire.
Up all night smiling or crying
And warm hugs to come home to after playing kickball around the corner.
I’m from kissing boo-boos to make them better
And licking hot chocolate pudding out of the pot.

I’m from “you can do anything you put your mind to”
And “we believe in you.”
I’m from “You’re perfect the way you are.”

1 comment:

meagan betances said...

meagan betances period#1

does ours have to be so long? because mine wasn't ... will i have to add to it?

meagan betances period#1