Thursday, November 5, 2009

Written model and reflection for embedded assessment project.

Written – embedded assessment #2 – 2 voices (poem)


By Ms. Sackstein

The Many Mes

Craving the comfort

Of a fine tipped pen, blank paper

The open outlet –

Electric with possibility

Stockpiled with both endless encouragement

And disappointment

Gently nibbling at my psyche

To produce



Many roles portrayed

From day to day

Forever shuffling in importance

Longing to quench the hunger

In my soul

To create

And the responsibility

To represent other “Mes”

At home, in the classroom, alone…



Inking reminders… visibly written

Beckoning enlightenment

Calling for imagination

Dwelling on talent – that sometimes feels asleep

Drooling in my memory

With my inner voice

Vehemently looking to wake it



How much do you share?

As a teacher, student, writer, mommy, friend?

Without judgment or fear

Shocking persuasion

Again seduced by the half written page

Blue lines, sexy without boundary



Leveraging legitimate language

That reminds me I’m not afraid

I’m learning… evolving.





Reflection for second embedded assessment



In selecting my two voices, I really tried to consider what would come across best and maybe show all of the students a different side of what they see. I feel like I wear so many hats and often feel inauthentic to my voice, the “Starr” voice that seldom gets to come out purely in school. I work very hard in life to try and get my truths across no matter the forum in which I am living.



I chose the podcast because I feel like my “mommy” voice is really the most important voice I have. I have been writing letters to Logan for a long time now as I want him to know when he grows up the things I think as I watch him and I hope for him. I write the letters with the full intention of sharing them at a more appropriate time.



When I sat down to write the letter for the podcast, I thought about what kinds of things would be useful to talk about and considered my diction knowing that Logan would be an older man when he heard it or read it. I knew full well, however, that I’d be sharing it with the class so the material I opted to use was also censored in some way. I think I met the standards for speaking in English as I have found a way to connect my voice to all of the students and to myself in a unique way. I feel that it is obvious whom I am speaking to and how I hope he will receive it in the future.



The other voice I chose to represent is my inner voice. Choosing a poem, I felt was a creative way for me to show the struggles I face as a teacher forced to play many different roles in my life. I’m first mother, teacher, friend, writer, etc. The stanzas use the metaphor of writing and finding language to know how to react to situations. I make mistakes and that is evident, but I’m not afraid to self correct.



I think I chose the voices I did to offer a different perspective of who I am. I often feel conflicted by the boundaries and restraints of having to play these roles, but the alternative doesn’t seem bearable either.



If I had to do the assignment again, I think I may have shared a written, published voice. I feel like that may have been more different than the two I chose. When I shared it with the class, there was some good feedback about my two voices not really sounding too different. I’m not sure if it’s because of the language or because of the tone. It is essential to my survival in the profession I have chosen to hone my varying voices for appropriateness. I definitely can’t speak the same way around my students as I do my friends.

No comments: