Friday, September 11, 2009

Independent Reading Assignments

So we discussed in class today what the independent reading assignment is...
I'm going to post a model to give you an idea of what a good one looks like. If you have questions, you may post a comment to this post and I will do my best to answer it :)

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

1) Passage that reveals an important quality of the main character
On page 200

“You have something inside you, Noah, something beautiful and strong. Kindness, that’s what I see when I look at you now, that’s what everyone sees. Kindness. You are the most forgiving and peaceful man I know.”

In this passage an important quality of the main character is revealed. Allie wrote Noah a letter telling him he was kindhearted, forgiving, and peaceful. The reader infers these characteristics however it is confirmed in this passage. Noah is kind to everyone; he was even kind to Allie’s mom even though she hates him. Noah is also forgiving because Allie left him over and over and hurt him countless times however he easily forgave her. Noah is also peaceful when he heard about Lon (Allie’s fiancĂ©) he didn’t become angry and yell, he acted peacefully and rationally.

2) Passage that shows an important part of the setting
On page 31

"Broken sunlight passed through water oaks and hickory trees a hundred feet tall, illuminating the colors of fall. On her left, a river the color of iron veered toward the road and then turned away before giving up its life to a different, larger river another mile ahead. The gravel road itself wound its way between antebellum farms, and she knew that for some of the farmers, life hadn’t changed since before their grandparents were born. "

This excerpt tells the reader that one of the main characters, Allie is on her way to somewhere in the country. The main setting of the book is in fact in the country, in a town called New Bern. A lot of important things happen in New Bern, all the major events. Allie met Noah while visiting New Bern for the summer. Allie is going to see Noah several years later.

3) Passage that suggests the complexity of the main characters conflicts
On page 49

"She walked to the other side of the dock, feeling a sense of closure. A compulsion had driven her here, and for the first time in three weeks the feeling was gone. Shed somehow needed Noah to know about her engagement, to understand, to accept it- she was sure of that now-and while thinking of him, she was reminded of something they’d shared from the summer they were together. With head down, she paced around slowly, looking for it until she found it-the carving. Noah loves Allie, in a heart. Carved into the dock a few days before she’d left."


Allie was driven to New Bern to find Noah. She had to clear things up; the years that followed their summer together, Allie spent thinking about Noah. She found with every boyfriend something wrong, weren’t good enough; they could never amount to Noah. No one could replace the empty space in Allies heart for it was always reserved for Noah. Originally coming to New Bern to find closure Allie ends up finding old feeling. She starts to fall in love with Noah all over again and even wonders if she ever stopped. However now she has to choose between Noah and Lon. Finding it incredibly hard to decide she is not sure what the rite choice is.

4) Passage that suggests the complexity of the main characters conflicts
On page 162-163

“I’m sorry to have to tell you this,” Dr. Barnwell began, “but you seem to be in the early stages of Alzheimer’s…”
It is a barren disease, as empty and lifeless as a desert. It’s a thief of hearts and souls and memories. I did not know what to say to her as she sobbed on my bosom, so I simply held her and rocked her back and forth.
“It’s a degenerative brain disorder affecting memory and personality… there is no cure or therapy… There’s no way to tell how fast it will progress… it differs from person to person… I wish I knew more…Some days will be better than others…It will grow worse with the passage of time…I’m sorry to be the one has to tell you…”

Allie had been acting strange for a while so she and Noah had decided to go to the doctors together. There Noah and Allie learn that Allie has developed Alzheimer’s. A major conflict for the rest of the book, Allie forgetting her whole life and Noah watching destroys both main characters. Everyday Noah must re-tell the story of how they met and fell in love to Allie never actually telling her that they are the characters in his story. Hoping that she will remember on her own Noah thinks love will overcome disease.

5) Passage which the author has used language in a particularly effective way
On page 107

“Noah what are they doing here?’
“I don’t know. I know the swans from up north migrate to Lake Matamuskeet every winter, but I guess they came here this time. I don’t know why. Maybe the early blizzard had something to do with it. Maybe they got off track or something. They’ll find their way back though.”
“They won’t stay?”
“I doubt it. They’re driven by instinct, and this isn’t their place. Some of the geese may winter here, but the swans go back to Matamuskeet.”

The author uses foreshadowing and metaphors in this passage. Allie is the swans/birds that was driven to Noah but doesn’t belong with him (being engaged to Lon). She will eventually realize that she got off track and will find her way back to Lon. The author uses Allie and the swans as a metaphor and her leaving foreshadowing. I thought that was a clever and effective way of using language/literary devises.

6) Passage which the author has used language in a particularly effective way
On page 185

"The sun has long since set and the thief is about to come, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. So I stare at her and live a lifetime in these last remaining moments."

The author uses the word thief to symbolize Allies Alzheimer’s disease. After all it does steal everything from its helpless victims. The memory of Noah and there life will soon slip away like always. The reader feels more emotion and the scene is more powerful with this metaphor. Also the next part about living a “lifetime in these last remaining moments” is powerful and there is good use of language.

7) Passage that suggests why the book has the title it has
On page 4-5

"Ready now. On go the glasses, out of my pocket comes a magnifier. I put it on the table for a moment while I open the notebook. It takes two licks on my gnarled finger to get the well-worn cover open to the first page. Then I put the magnifier in place.
There is always a moment right before I begin to read the story when my mind churns, and I wonder, Will it happen today? I don’t know, for I never know beforehand, and deep down it really doesn’t matter. It’s the possibility that keeps me going, not the guarantee, a sort of wager on my part. And though you may call me a dreamer or fool or any other thing, I believe that anything is possible.
I realize the odds, and science, are against me. But science is not the total answer; this I know, this I have learned in my lifetime. And that leaves me with the belief that miracles, no matter how inexplicable or unbelievable, are real and can occur without regard to the natural order of things. So once again, just as I do every day, I begin to read the notebook aloud, so she can hear it, in hope that the miracle that has come to dominate my life will once again prevail. "

This passage explains why the book has the title it has. Noah has written his and Allies story down in a notebook, knowing that she was developing Alzheimer’s disease. So when she started to forget her life she would be able to read and remember. However Allie’s condition has worsened and Noah is the one who has to read from the notebook every day hoping his wife will remember. The chances of Allie remembering are slim to none and with the odds against him Noah proves time and time again that love will prevail.



8) Passage that shows the main characters situation at the end
On page 207

I gently trace the outline of her cheek, then take her hand in mine. I kiss her lips, her cheeks, and listen as she takes a breath. She murmurs softly, “Oh, Noah… I’ve missed you.” Another miracle-the greatest of all!-and there’s no way I can stop the tears as we begin to slip toward heaven itself.

After reading the notebook aloud to Allie a miracle happens. Allie remembers Noah and there wonderful life together. She remembers that’s the girl in the story is her and she chose Noah. The two are on their way to heaven together both remembering everything. This is a very emotional time. Earlier in the book Noah expresses his concerns about dying without Allie, it’s not how he imagined it would be. So then in the end for everything to happen the write way, how he wanted and how it was meant to happen is amazing. Allie remembers, even though she has a disease that makes her forget. This ending proves the point Noah and so many other preach, love is stronger than anything and it will always prevail.

9) Passage that suggests an important idea/insight the book conveys
On page 176

"And I learned what is obvious to a child. That life is simply a collection of little lives, each lived one day at a time. That each day should be spent finding beauty in flowers and poetry and talking to animals. That a day spent with dreaming and sunsets and refreshing breezes cannot be bettered. But most of all, I learned that life is about sitting on benches next to ancient creeks with my hand on her knee and sometimes, on good days, for falling in love. "

In this excerpt Noah is explaining to readers what he has got out of his experience. I think it is true that you should cherish each day separately and make the most of them. People suffering with addictions are told to treat each day as a new day, and differently from the last. Do not dwell on what has happened and have no regrets but look forward to the future and the things to come. I think this is one of the messages I kind of all ready knew but the book conveyed.

10) Passage that shows what you liked or disliked about the book
On page 201

So I love you so deeply, so incredibly much, that I will find a way to come back to you despite my disease, I promise you that. And this is where the story comes in. When I a lost and lonely, read this story-just as you told it to the children-and know that in some way, I will realize it’s about us. And perhaps, just perhaps, we will find a way to be together again.
Please don’t be angry with me on days I do not remember you, and we both know they will come. Know that I love you, and we both know that I always will, and that no matter what happens, know I have led the greatest life possible. My life with you.
And if you save this letter to read again, then believe what I am writing for you now. Noah, wherever you are and whenever this is, I love you. I love you now as I write this, and I love you now as you read this. And I am sorry if I am not able to tell you.

I think this is my favorite part of the book and also the adapted movie version of this scene. It’s so emotional and touching to me. Allie knows what’s going to happen, she’s going to lose her memory and forget Noah. So she writes him a letter, a very touching one might I add. I think the whole concept alone is really special. First the idea that she is going to forget the love of her life, the one person she loves to death, after everything they have been through, she will forget him. It’s like the author is really sick, in every book he has some tragedy happen. The last book I read by him the wife dies, and there child almost dies, and I saw a movie based on his book about a couple who falls in love and then the girl develops cancer and dies. It’s just horrible, but in a way really smart. The good guy always wins and there is always a happily ever after, but not according to Nicholas Sparks. He says that something bad can happen but out of that something bad will come something good. It’s a little confusing and I don’t know if I am explaining it write, but it’s something I noticed.
It’s weird that I am saying this but I actually liked the movie better. I usually like books better because it gives the reader more freedom to imagine the characters and have creative freedom to conjure up images. There’s no script and nothing is set in stone. However I liked the movie much better. Aside from a few parts I actually didn’t like the book. I notice with Nicholas Sparks that his beginnings are very slow and after the first 100 pages the book gets good. However I doubt many people will stick around for those first 100 pages. Overall the book was okay, but I was a little disappointed.

2 comments:

Mary Bella Torosyan said...

no!!! i wanted to do my first one on the notebook :(
but now i think i'll do it on The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

I was a little disappointed too. The Choice is the same too.. but since i read the notebook and i found that the beginning was kind of boring i think the choice will be the same, so im sticking with it for now.

Lefkios Antoniou said...

Are you going to give us a list of recommended books for this project or we should choose on are own because I am reading book now called Playing for Keeps by Joan Lowery Nixon and I'm not sure it would be good for this assignment.